Saturday 31 December 2011

Genesis

As a rule I don't do New Year's resolutions.  I always thought if something needed fixing then why not deal with it on one of the other 364 days of the year rather than procrastinating until the passage of New Year's Eve...

Alas, this year is different.  Perhaps I have been busier than usual, or maybe it is something to do with growing older or the arrival of my baby daughter in February but regardless I find myself with a significant list of things I believe I must do yet have somehow avoided throughout the entirety of 2011.  In an attempt to force myself into some form of action, this list has now become my collection of New Year's resolutions for 2012.

Nestled amongst the obligatory 'exercise more's and 'eat less junk's lies 'start a work related blog'.  My reasons for wishing to start a blog are manyfold and this resolution forms some kind of feedback loop with some of the others (things like 'read more', 'use a dictionary more often' etc).  In brief I want to polish my writing abilities whilst engaging in professional debate, diversifying and hopefully educating myself (and others?) along the way.

The broad subject area will be next generation sequencing and I will keep the topics as diverse as possible, so there should be something of interest whether you are a bioinformatician, a biologist, a technology watcher or even none of the above.  I also promise to use as little filler as possible and keep things relevant, so add me to whatever reader you use and hopefully we will speak in the new year.

January will see me completing some work that will be of relevance to anyone interested in mutation detection, sequence alignment and/or diagnostics so watch this space.

In the meantime, as NYE hits its halfway point (in my timezone at least) and the first sunrise of 2012 grows ever closer, I wish you all a Happy New Year wherever you are!

Sunrise over Lake Malawi, January 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment